Legal Interns play an integral part in the commercialization of technologies. Students in this
position will have the opportunity to interact with and learn from seasoned business
professionals, outside legal counsel and licensed attorneys. Duties include:
- Assisting in the intellectual property strategy and triage process;
- Helping commercialization staff determine if and how a technology moves forward;
- Assessing the commercial viability of technologies from Ohio State as startups; and
- Following the technologies through the startup or licensing process.
Other duties may include, but are not limited to: patent research, applications and publications
relevant to university inventions; reviewing commercial potential of university inventions; and
other general duties as assigned. Students in this position are asked to work 9-12 hours per
week during the academic year, with the potential to work up to 28 hours per week during the
summer, in relatively large blocks of time.
Qualifications, Skills and Abilities
Desired skills include:
- Applicant is a 2L or 3L law student with a strong academic record with an undergraduate
- degree in a life science, physical science, engineering or computer science;
- Ability to multi-task in an active environment;
- Ability to work with minimal direction;
- Ability to and interest in actively seeking feedback and assignments; and
- An interest in providing excellent service to the Ohio State community.